GALE Chinese-English Word Alignment and Tagging Training Part 4 -- Web
|Item Name:||GALE Chinese-English Word Alignment and Tagging Training Part 4 -- Web|
|Author(s):||Xuansong Li, Stephen Grimes, Stephanie Strassel|
|LDC Catalog No.:||LDC2013T05|
|Release Date:||March 15, 2013|
|Data Source(s):||web collection|
|Application(s):||tagging, machine translation, content-based retrieval, automatic content extraction|
|Language(s):||English, Mandarin Chinese, Chinese|
|Language ID(s):||eng, cmn, zho|
LDC User Agreement for Non-Members
|Online Documentation:||LDC2013T05 Documents|
|Licensing Instructions:||Subscription & Standard Members, and Non-Members|
|Citation:||Li, Xuansong, Stephen Grimes, and Stephanie Strassel. GALE Chinese-English Word Alignment and Tagging Training Part 4 -- Web LDC2013T05. Web Download. Philadelphia: Linguistic Data Consortium, 2013.|
GALE Chinese-English Word Alignment and Tagging Training Part 4 -- Web was developed by LDC and contains 158,387 tokens of word aligned Chinese and English parallel text enriched with linguistic tags. This material was used as training data in the DARPA GALE (Global Autonomous Language Exploitation) program.
Some approaches to statistical machine translation include the incorporation of linguistic knowledge in word aligned text as a means to improve automatic word alignment and machine translation quality. This is accomplished with two annotation schemes: alignment and tagging. Alignment identifies minimum translation units and translation relations by using minimum-match and attachment annotation approaches. A set of word tags and alignment link tags are designed in the tagging scheme to describe these translation units and relations. Tagging adds contextual, syntactic and language-specific features to the alignment annotation.
Other releases available in this series are:
- GALE Chinese-English Word Alignment and Tagging Training Part 1 -- Newswire and Web (LDC2012T16)
- GALE Chinese-English Word Alignment and Tagging Training Part 2 -- Newswire (LDC2012T20)
- GALE Chinese-English Word Alignment and Tagging Training Part 3 -- Web (LDC2012T24)
This release consists of Chinese source web data (newsgroup, weblog) collected by LDC. The distribution by words, character tokens and segments appears below:
Note that all token counts are based on the Chinese data only. One token is equivalent to one character and one word is equivalent to 1.5 characters.
The Chinese word alignment tasks consisted of the following components:
- Identifying, aligning, and tagging 8 different types of links
- Identifying, attaching, and tagging local-level unmatched words
- Identifying and tagging sentence/discourse-level unmatched words
- Identifying and tagging all instances of Chinese 的 (DE) except when they were a part of a semantic link.
- Chinese raw source sample
- Chinese character tokenized sample
- English raw translation sample
- English tokenized sample
- Character-based word alignment sample
This work was supported in part by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, GALE Program Grant No. HR0011-06-1-0003. The content of this publication does not necessarily reflect the position or the policy of the Government, and no official endorsement should be inferred.
None at this time.