GALE Phase 2 Arabic Web Parallel Text
|Item Name:||GALE Phase 2 Arabic Web Parallel Text|
|Author(s):||Lauren Friedman, Hubert Jin, Zhiyi Song, Gary Krug, Stephanie Strassel|
|LDC Catalog No.:||LDC2013T01|
|Release Date:||January 15, 2013|
|Data Source(s):||weblogs, newsgroups|
|Language(s):||English, Standard Arabic|
|Language ID(s):||eng, arb|
LDC User Agreement for Non-Members
|Online Documentation:||LDC2013T01 Documents|
|Licensing Instructions:||Subscription & Standard Members, and Non-Members|
|Citation:||Friedman, Lauren, et al. GALE Phase 2 Arabic Web Parallel Text LDC2013T01. Web Download. Philadelphia: Linguistic Data Consortium, 2013.|
GALE Phase 2 Arabic Web Parallel Text was developed by the Linguistic Data Consortium (LDC). Along with other corpora, the parallel text in this release comprised training data for Phase 2 of the DARPA GALE (Global Autonomous Language Exploitation) Program. This corpus contains Modern Standard Arabic source text and corresponding English translations selected from web data collected by LDC and translated by LDC or under its direction.
LDC has released the following GALE Phase 1 & 2 Arabic Parallel Text data sets:
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text - Part 1 (LDC2007T24)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text - Part 2 (LDC2008T09)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Blog Parallel Text (LDC2008T02)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Newsgroup Parallel Text - Part 1 (LDC2009T03)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Newsgroup Parallel Text - Part 2 (LDC2009T09)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast Conversation Parallel Text Part 1 (LDC2012T06)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast Conversation Parallel Text Part 2 (LDC2012T14)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text (LDC2012T17)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text (LDC2012T18)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Web Parallel Text (LDC2013T01)
GALE Phase 2 Arabic Web Parallel Text includes 60 source-translation document pairs, comprising 42,089 words of Arabic source text and its English translation. Data was drawn from various Arabic weblog and newsgroup sources.
Data was manually selected for translation according to several criteria, including linguistic features, transcription features and topic features. The files were reformatted into a human-readable translation format and assigned to translation vendors. Translators followed LDC's Arabic to English translation guidelines. Bilingual LDC staff performed quality control procedures on the completed translations.
Source data and translations are distributed in TDF format. TDF files are tab-delimited files containing one segment of text along with meta information about that segment. Each field in the TDF file is described in TDF_format.text. All data are encoded in UTF-8.
This work was supported in part by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, GALE Program Grant No. HR0011-06-1-0003. The content of this publication does not necessarily reflect the position or the policy of the Government, and no official endorsement should be inferred.
None at this time.