GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Web Parallel Text
|Item Name:||GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Web Parallel Text|
|Author(s):||Song Chen, Gary Krug, Stephanie Strassel|
|LDC Catalog No.:||LDC2016T08|
|Release Date:||March 15, 2016|
|Data Source(s):||weblogs, newsgroups|
|Language(s):||Standard Arabic, English|
|Language ID(s):||arb, eng|
LDC User Agreement for Non-Members
|Online Documentation:||LDC2016T08 Documents|
|Licensing Instructions:||Subscription & Standard Members, and Non-Members|
|Citation:||Chen, Song, Gary Krug, and Stephanie Strassel. GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Web Parallel Text LDC2016T08. Web Download. Philadelphia: Linguistic Data Consortium, 2016.|
|Related Works: Hide||View|
GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Web Parallel Text was developed by the Linguistic Data Consortium (LDC). Along with other corpora, the parallel text in this release comprised training data for Phases 3 and 4 of the DARPA GALE (Global Autonomous Language Exploitation) Program. This corpus contains Modern Standard Arabic source text and corresponding English translations selected from weblog and newsgroup data collected by LDC and translated by LDC or under its direction.
LDC has also released the following GALE Arabic Parallel Text data sets:
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text - Part 1 (LDC2007T24)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text - Part 2 (LDC2008T09)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Blog Parallel Text (LDC2008T02)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Newsgroup Parallel Text - Part 1 (LDC2009T03)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Newsgroup Parallel Text - Part 2 (LDC2009T09)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast Conversation Parallel Text Part 1 (LDC2012T06)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast Conversation Parallel Text Part 2 (LDC2012T14)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text (LDC2012T17)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text (LDC2012T18)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Web Parallel Text (LDC2013T01)
- GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Broadcast Conversation Parallel Text (LDC2015T05)
- GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text (LDC2015T07)
- GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text (LDC2015T19)
GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Web Parallel Text includes 124 source-translation document pairs, comprising 61,662 tokens of Arabic source text and its English translation. Data is drawn from various Arabic weblog and newsgroup sources.
Data was manually selected for translation according to several criteria, including linguistic features, transcription features and topic features. The files were reformatted into a human-readable translation format and assigned to translation vendors. Translators followed LDC's Arabic to English translation guidelines. Bilingual LDC staff performed quality control procedures on the completed translations.
Source data and translations are distributed in TDF format. TDF files are tab-delimited files containing one segment of text along with meta information about that segment. Each field in the TDF file is described in TDF_format.txt. All data are encoded in UTF-8.
This work was supported in part by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, GALE Program Grant No. HR0011-06-1-0003. The content of this publication does not necessarily reflect the position or the policy of the Government, and no official endorsement should be inferred.
None at this time.