GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text
|Item Name:||GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text|
|Author(s):||Song Chen, Gary Krug, Stephanie Strassel|
|LDC Catalog No.:||LDC2015T19|
|Release Date:||September 15, 2015|
|Language(s):||Standard Arabic, English|
|Language ID(s):||arb, eng|
LDC User Agreement for Non-Members
|Online Documentation:||LDC2015T19 Documents|
|Licensing Instructions:||Subscription & Standard Members, and Non-Members|
|Citation:||Chen, Song, Gary Krug, and Stephanie Strassel. GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text LDC2015T19. Web Download. Philadelphia: Linguistic Data Consortium, 2015.|
GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text was developed by the Linguistic Data Consrotium (LDC). Along with other corpora, the parallel text in this release comprised training data for Phases 3 and 4 of the DARPA GALE (Global Autonomous Language Exploitation) Program. This corpus contains Modern Standard Arabic source text and corresponding English translations selected from newswire data collected by LDC in 2007 and 2008 and transcribed and translated by LDC or under its direction.
LDC has also released the following GALE Arabic Parallel Text data sets:
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text - Part 1 (LDC2007T24)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text - Part 2 (LDC2008T09)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Blog Parallel Text (LDC2008T02)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Newsgroup Parallel Text - Part 1 (LDC2009T03)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Newsgroup Parallel Text - Part 2 (LDC2009T09)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast Conversation Parallel Text Part 1 (LDC2012T06)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast Conversation Parallel Text Part 2 (LDC2012T14)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text (LDC2012T17)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text (LDC2012T18)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Web Parallel Text (LDC2013T01)
- GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Broadcast Conversation Parallel Text (LDC2015T05)
- GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text (LDC2015T07)
GALE Phase 3 and 4 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text includes 551 source-translation document pairs, comprising 156,775 tokens of Arabic source text and its English translation. Data is drawn from seven distinct Arabic newswire sources: Agence France Presse, Al Ahram, Al Hayat, Al-Quds Al-Arabi, An Nahar, Asharq Al-Awsat and Assabah.
The files in this release were transcribed by LDC staff and/or transcription vendors under contract to LDC in accordance with the Quick Rich Transcription guidelines developed by LDC. Transcribers indicated sentence boundaries in addition to transcribing the text. Data was manually selected for translation according to several criteria, including linguistic features, transcription features and topic features. The transcribed and segmented files were then reformatted into a human-readable translation format and assigned to translation vendors. Translators followed LDC's Arabic to English translation guidelines. Bilingual LDC staff performed quality control procedures on the completed translations.
Source data and translations are distributed in TDF format. TDF files are tab-delimited files containing one segment of text along with meta information about that segment. Each field in the TDF file is described in TDF_format.txt. All data are encoded in UTF-8.
This work was supported in part by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, GALE Program Grant No. HR0011-06-1-0003. The content of this publication does not necessarily reflect the position or the policy of the Government, and no official endorsement should be inferred.
None at this time.