GALE Phase 2 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text
|Item Name:||GALE Phase 2 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text|
|Author(s):||Lauren Friedman, Hubert Jin, Zhiyi Song, Gary Krug, Stephanie Strassel|
|LDC Catalog No.:||LDC2012T17|
|Release Date:||November 15, 2012|
|Language(s):||English, Standard Arabic|
|Language ID(s):||eng, arb|
LDC User Agreement for Non-Members
|Online Documentation:||LDC2012T17 Documents|
|Licensing Instructions:||Subscription & Standard Members, and Non-Members|
|Citation:||Friedman, Lauren, et al. GALE Phase 2 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text LDC2012T17. Web Download. Philadelphia: Linguistic Data Consortium, 2012.|
|Related Works: Hide||View|
GALE Phase 2 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text was developed by the Linguistic Data Consortium (LDC). Along with other corpora, the parallel text in this release comprised training data for Phase 2 of the DARPA GALE (Global Autonomous Language Exploitation) Program. This corpus contains Modern Standard Arabic source text and corresponding English translations selected from newswire data collected in 2007 by LDC and transcribed by LDC or under its direction.
LDC has released the following GALE Phase 1 & 2 Arabic Parallel Text data sets:
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text - Part 1 (LDC2007T24)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text - Part 2 (LDC2008T09)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Blog Parallel Text (LDC2008T02)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Newsgroup Parallel Text - Part 1 (LDC2009T03)
- GALE Phase 1 Arabic Newsgroup Parallel Text - Part 2 (LDC2009T09)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast Conversation Parallel Text Part 1 (LDC2012T06)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast Conversation Parallel Text Part 2 (LDC2012T14)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text (LDC2012T17)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Broadcast News Parallel Text (LDC2012T18)
- GALE Phase 2 Arabic Web Parallel Text (LDC2013T01)
GALE Phase 2 Arabic Newswire Parallel Text includes 400 source-translation pairs, comprising 181,704 tokens of Arabic source text and its English translation. Data is drawn from six distinct Arabic newswire sources.: Al Ahram, Al Hayat, Al-Quds Al-Arabi, An Nahar, Asharq Al-Awsat and Assabah.
Data was manually selected for translation according to several criteria, including linguistic features and topic features. The files were formatted into a human-readable translation format and assigned to translation vendors. Translators followed LDC's Arabic to English translation guidelines. Bilingual LDC staff performed quality control procedures on the completed translations.
Source data and translations are distributed in TDF format. TDF files are tab-delimited files containing one segment of text along with meta information about that segment. Each field in the TDF file is described in TDF_format.text. All data are encoded in UTF-8.
This work was supported in part by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, GALE Program Grant No. HR0011-06-1-0003. The content of this publication does not necessarily reflect the position or the policy of the Government, and no official endorsement should be inferred.
None at this time.